The Kripsy Kreme Glazed Doughnut is a southern classic. While driving past a stand, you can see drivers heads always turn checking to see if that bright neon light is on indicating that warm, freshly glazed, doughnuts are waiting for a buyer. Here on the Grate we have used Krispy Kreme’s as a saddle for a couple of different proteins. Today we make a classic Lowcountry favorite, Grilled Crab Salad, and stack it high on a grill toasted Krispy Kreme doughnut. A spicy sweet treat that can’t be beat!
Click Below to Watch the Episode!
Gather the Ingredients
First, let’s gather up our ingredients. Even though we are only going to make a couple of sammies we have to buy a dozen doughnuts. The extras certainly won’t go to waste. In fact with a cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, we have trouble saving a couple for the demonstration! We used fresh local Charleston Blue Crabs, cleaned, and some Seafood seasoning from BBQ Pantry!
Prepare a clean medium heat grill. Season the crab with seafood seasoning and grill direct until crab is done. Do not overcook. The crab is done when the shells turn orange and the meat flakes easily. About 8-10 minutes. Flip once with tongs if you wish.
Once the crab is done, remove to a tray and cool completely. Pick the carefully from the shell being sure not to get any stray cracked shells into the meat. Prepare the recipe for crab salad.
Split a Krispy Kreme doughnut in half and toast on the grill. There is plenty of sugar in the donut so be careful. It does not take long to toast the bun.
Stack the crab salad on the toasted bun. Add a mayonnaise if you dare. Any of the Mayo’s from the Cinco de Mayo episode would go great with this recipe. Try the Spicy Asian – Delicious!
Fun Facts About Krispy Kreme!
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are one of the most popular brands of donuts in the entire country. In fact, when people think of this tasty treat, they either think of Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts. But, it hasn’t always been this way. At one time, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts were only sold in the South. Thankfully, times have changed and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts can now be found in most states and in other countries. If you enjoy this delicious fried treat, you will also enjoy these fun facts.
- Founded in 1937 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts were first sold in 1937. While this treat may have started out in Nashville, Tennessee to begin with, the Krispy Kreme Company didn’t start out in Nashville. After two bakers went their separate ways, one baker made his way to North Carolina, along with two helpers and some equipment.
- The Original Store Opened in Winston-Salem
- Vernon Rudolph was the baker who made his way to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. There he opened the first Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop.
- The year they were invented you could buy two donuts for 5 cents or a dozen for a quarter.
- The Original Is Still the Most Famous
- Krispy Kreme shops have clear walls where you can watch the donuts being made fresh.
- There are over 30 Varieties of Krispy Kreme Donuts
- Krispy Kreme usually offers a limited edition flavor each month.
- Krispy Kreme makes 7.5 Million Donuts Each Day
- Krispy Kreme also sells donuts overseas. In fact, you can actually find Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in the United Kingdom and in Australia.
- Average sized stores produce 3,000 Donuts Are Made Per Hour
- Larger stores can prepare 12,000 donuts per hour.
- 1.3 Million Pounds of Sprinkles Are Used Each Year
- They use enough chocolate to fill 5 Olympic-sized swimming pools
- Each week enough Donuts are made to Reach from New York City to Los Angeles each